Chairman's Letter to Supporters

Article published:
March 1, 2021

Dear Members, supporters, sponsors and friends of Taunton RFC,

As many of you may well be aware by now, There will be no official competitive rugby for the semi-professional game this season, after the NCA agreed to cancel the proposed Cup competition that was scheduled to begin once lockdown restrictions were eased.

Taunton RFC were asked for their thoughts prior to a decision being made and following discussion by the Committee and Senior coaches we agreed that the safety of our players, coaches, volunteers and spectators was vital and in the absence of any firm guarantees that we could offer a safe environment the best decision was to cancel the proposed cup competition at this time. I have been informed that this opinion was shared by virtually every club within the NCA network

NCA chairman John Inverdale admitted there was a certain inevitability about the decision: ‘With every re-tiering and subsequent tightening of restrictions, it was getting harder to envisage the NCA cup getting off the ground.

“It’s with a heavy heart that we’ve made the call because there was a huge amount of enthusiasm for the idea, but ultimately we’ve had to concede defeat."

Your Club will work towards planning for the 2021/22 season, and when restrictions ease we can look to re-start our rugby activities in accordance with the RFU Return to Play guidelines. Following the announcement by HM Government on the 22nd of February we understand that U18 rugby will be able to restart on the 29th March 2021 though the exact format for the game we are currently waiting for. I am confident we will hear soon from the RFU with regards to this.

Whilst we have had to suspend traditional meetings The Clubs management committee will continue to discuss the impact on the Club and the way forward, and I will update all members, stakeholders and sponsors in due course as soon as there is further news. We were unable to hold our traditional AGM in the summer of 2020 due to the ongoing lockdown and fears over the Covid 19 virus therefore your incumbent Committee pledged to continue in post managing the club to the best of our ability until such time as we can have a proper safe AGM for all of our members. We intend to re-open the club mid May again in line with HM Government guidelines, there will be a need for volunteer assistance to clean and prepare the building for new business, the current Management Committee have pledged to take the lead in this to minimise the cost to the club but additional help will be gratefully received.

We would like to reiterate our sincere gratitude and thanks to everyone who has supported the Club during these unprecedented times.

Here’s to a fantastic new season for 2021/2022 and hopefully we will be able to put the horror and uncertainty of Covid 19 behind up.

John Wrelton

Routes from M5

You can access this articles attachment using this button.

Article published by: